Publishing & Editorial Internship:
Internships are available with The Accomplices LLC. To apply, email a resume and cover letter to Janice Lee at email@example.com. The cover letter should include why you are interested in the internship, why you feel like you would be a good fit, your particular interests and goals, related skills, and how you see yourself fitting into the literary community (as a writer, publisher, editor, and/or literary citizen).
Internships vary in length, though usually last 1-2 academic terms. Time commitment is 4-16 hours per week during the academic year, negotiable during the summer. Internships are currently unpaid but can be taken for academic credit. (Email us about details or with specific questions. We’ve worked with undergraduate and graduate students from Wesleyan University, CSU Long Beach, California Institute of the Arts, and Portland State University.)
Student will work closely with one or more of the Editors, and work intimately with every part of the publishing process.
Intern responsibilities may include:
- Reading, evaluating, and reporting on submissions
- Sending acceptances, rejections, requests, and other email correspondence with contributors
- Assisting with website updates and editing/scheduling posts and content in WordPress
- Assisting with formatting content and design
- Assisting with layout, book design, copyediting, and all aspects of book production (InDesign, Photoshop)
- Creating various documents such as catalog materials, press releases, & teaching guides
- Assisting with all marketing, including research, putting together mailing lists, creating marketing & promotional materials, tracking book reviews, sending marketing emails, mailings, and event coordination.
- Working on special features or projects as needed
- Assisting editors as needed
- Helping create engagement on social media outlets on a regular basis
- Possible assistance at readings, book fairs, or other local events.
Interns may gain skills related to: editing, email correspondence, WordPress and online content management systems, website maintenance, content styling, graphic & web design, social media marketing, community building, book production, book design, graphic design, book promotion and marketing, community building, independent publishing.
- Knowledge about and passion for contemporary literature and independent publishing
- Interest in literary community-building, diversity, and literary citizenship
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Excellent computer skills (especially experience with any of the following: Indesign, Photoshop, Word/Pages, Google Docs, WordPress)
- Attention to detail & strong organizational skills
- Dependability, flexibility, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines