Publishing & Editorial Internship:
Internships are available with The Accomplices LLC. To apply, email a resume and cover letter to Janice Lee at email@example.com. The cover letter should include why you are interested in the internship, why you feel like you would be a good fit, your particular interests and goals, related skills, and how you see yourself fitting into the literary community (as a writer, publisher, editor, and/or literary citizen).
Internships vary in length, though usually last 1-2 academic terms. Time commitment is 4-16 hours per week during the academic year, negotiable during the summer. Internships are currently unpaid but can be taken for academic credit. (Email us about details or with specific questions. We have worked with undergraduate and graduate students from Wesleyan University, CSU Long Beach, California Institute of the Arts, and Portland State University.)
Student will work closely with one or more of the Editors, and work intimately with every part of the publishing process.
- Summer 2019: We are currently closed for new applications.
- Fall 2019 (Term begins late September 2019): Deadline for applications is September 6, 2019.
- Winter 2019 (Term begins January 2019): Deadline for applications is December 6, 2019.
Intern responsibilities may include:
- Reading, evaluating, and reporting on submissions
- Sending acceptances, rejections, requests, and other email correspondence with contributors
- Assisting with website updates and editing/scheduling posts and content in WordPress
- Assisting with formatting content and design
- Assisting with layout, book design, copyediting, and all aspects of book production (InDesign, Photoshop)
- Creating various documents such as catalog materials, press releases, & teaching guides
- Assisting with all marketing, including research, putting together mailing lists, creating marketing & promotional materials, tracking book reviews, sending marketing emails, mailings, and event coordination.
- Working on special features or projects as needed
- Assisting editors as needed
- Helping create engagement on social media outlets on a regular basis
- Possible assistance at readings, book fairs, or other local events.
Interns may gain skills related to: editing, email correspondence, WordPress and online content management systems, website maintenance, content styling, graphic & web design, social media marketing, community building, book production, book design, graphic design, book promotion and marketing, community building, independent publishing.
- Knowledge about and passion for contemporary literature and independent publishing
- Interest in literary community-building, diversity, and literary citizenship
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Excellent computer skills (especially experience with any of the following: Indesign, Photoshop, Word/Pages, Google Docs, WordPress)
- Attention to detail & strong organizational skills
- Dependability, flexibility, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines
I’ve had a few internships before, but they’ve always felt like “something to put on the resume,” it felt exactly like I was being used for free work and in exchange I got a few references and got to put their name on my resume. The Accomplices was just the opposite, I was not only blown away by the trust and confidence shown towards the interns, but at the lengths gone to make sure that the tasks were something the intern was interested in and would benefit from. This truly felt like the learning opportunity that I always hoped for in an internship and it was a lot of fun too… There’s a lot of room for creativity, and without that space and without that confidence and trust, I don’t think I would have accomplished as much as I have… There’s a lot of opportunity for growth at The Accomplices and it all happens in an inclusive, open, and creative environment.
– Esa Grigsby
This internship was a great introduction to working in small presses and I appreciated the chance to work on all types of marketing, editing, and design… Janice has been amazing as the intern coordinator. Despite the fact that there is kindness and openness with The Accomplices as a whole, having her as a manager in things that I’m still learning has been incredibly helpful. I’m grateful for the help and patience she’s shown.
– Marina Garcia
I really appreciated the freedom of the internship. There was just enough advice and feedback to be helpful and provide structure without it feeling as though I was being constantly monitored. I feel like that’s the environment I work best in because I’m allowed to be creative or innovative.
– Erin Bass